Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cleaning House

 Because he doesn't cook, Charley will never remember that the spatula goes in the drawer by the stove, but the measuring spoons and cups go in the drawer under the counter.  He will never remember that bowls go on the second shelf over the sink and not in the pantry.  Or that the blue mugs hang in one place and the brown mugs in another, and so on.  He doesn't really care where things go as long as they are "away" and he doesn't really understand why I care.  So is there any point in reminding him?  It sounds like I am nagging or like I think it is my kitchen and he really doesn't like to feel like he is a guest in his own house.  I think it is partly that he grew up as the youngest in a house of women and so he really doesn't like women telling him what to do.  And yet, washing dishes is something he feels strongly is his chore. I appreciate that.  So I have three choices.
  1. Notice when he washes the dishes and offer to put things away.  This is a great option.  We get to hang out together and chat about Ken Wilbur and Ekhart Tolle and saxophones and Special Ed kids as I put things where I think they belong.
  2. When I walk through the kitchen and see something in the wrong place, put it where it belongs.  This is a sort of good option.
  3. Live in a perpetual "Easter Egg Hunt" as I frantically search for the spoon to stir the beans before they burn and lose my temper when I burn my hand pulling the biscuits out of the oven because the oven mitt has gone wandering again and all I can find quickly is a wet washcloth which doesn't really work.  This is probably the worst option and yet it is the one I "fall back on" continually.  
I'm not a very good housekeeper, but it seems to me that working smarter is a better solution than working harder - since I already get only 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night and I'm always tired!  But working smarter seems to take a non-stop vigilance.  So many things require ceaseless vigilance.  Like dieting.


Suggestions anyone???

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of working smarter rather than harder, Wish I could follow that advice.
    Suggestions?? Carry on writing. Love

    ReplyDelete