Sam has aspiration pneumonia again and worse than it's been for several years. I've got him on oxygen most of the time and he's taking antibiotics. The doctor said to wait 48 hours and if he didn't turn around, I'd have to admit him for IV antibiotics. The 48 hours is almost up and I think he's improved - slightly. I really want to make the right decision here. Going to the hospital might be an important step to saving his life. We don't want to increase the already extensive scarring of his lungs. There are so many parts of his lungs that no longer work.
On the other hand, we both hate going to the hospital. He can't move because of the iv in his arm and I have to sleep on a very cold, hard window seat! A smaller consideration is the fact that the State of Illinois will not pay me for the days he is in hospital because they think of it as time I don't work. Hah! This is a small consideration because they only pay me for 4 hours a day anyway!
It's Lent. You would think this would give me time to reflect and be mindful of my life. But frankly, I'm too sleepy. MY body has never really accepted Sam's habit of sleeping from 4 am to 11 am. I still like to sleep from about 10 pm to 6 am. So when he's sick I only get a couple of hours sleep. Then we both nap in the afternoon on the couch. But the rest of the day I'm giving him medicine and wandering around the house like a zombie and groggily trying to think of all the things that need doing.
Oh and watching tsunami videos.
I heard from my friends in Japan and they are okay but in shock. They are still experiencing several after shocks daily. Tsunami and nuclear explosions are the terror at the core of every Japanese soul and they are suddenly facing both at once. My heart weeps for them.
Want to do something? You can donate to people who seem to be doing a good job with the relief efforts:
American Red Cross