Sunday, August 17, 2014

Household Saint

As Sam dies, he is leaving Charley and me with a legacy of love and gentleness. We are communicating and working together better than we ever have before.

Today is our 40th Wedding Anniversary.  Last night my friend (who is a respiratory therapist I got to know during Sam's many hospital visits) stayed with Sam so Charley and I could go out for our anniversary. It was such a blessing!  We went to Ravinia and saw Tony Bennet. It was a beautiful evening and we enjoyed ourselves very much.  Because we don't know anyone who is qualified to watch Sam, this wasn't a "rare" event. It was unique!  And we enjoyed it very much. I'm so glad I married someone who enjoys so many of the same things I do. 

Sam perked up and entertained his friend so well. Once again he proved he is a miracle worker. She is going through the most horrible things in her personal life and he gave her peace. They played Concert for George Harrison and shook bells and tambourines along with the music and she sang in her "atrocious" voice. (Her word, not mine). She looked so relaxed and peaceful when we came home. It was actually a startling difference. She kind of glowed. Sam is a wonder. I wish I could get her to come sit with him more often. She needs him!  Or maybe it was George...

No comments:

Post a Comment